Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chopped Liver Recipe



I am the kind of person who likes to be organized.  I do not always follow through on this, but I try.  One of the ways I do this in the kitchen is that my husband and I plan our dinners for the week on Saturday or Sunday.  Then the whole family goes grocery shopping together.  We try to limit leftover dinners to twice a week when the kids have karate.  This week the days we needed leftovers was multiplying.  So, I went into the freezer to look for some inspiration.  There I found chicken livers.  I knew what I was going to make.....chopped liver.  It is full of protein and it is an excellent source of iron.  And my whole family will eat it!  

As with many of recipes, this one was taught to me by my mother.  She learned it from her mother and grandmother.  I have fond memories of making this with my mother, and my kids enjoy making it with my mother when she visits.  The only trouble with chopped liver in our house is that there is never enough.     

Chopped Liver Recipe

Ingredients:

3 large onions
1lb chicken livers
3 tablespoons oil
1 can of sliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 hard-boiled eggs
1 piece of Gluten Free Bread

Cook onions in the oil until they are dark in color.  The darker the onions, the darker the chopped liver will be.



Add the chicken livers, canned mushrooms, and Worcestershire sauce to the onions.  Cook until the chicken livers are no longer pink on the inside.  It should take about 15-30 minutes.  Make sure to cover it for about half of the cooking time to allow some of the liquid to cook off.  Once this mixture is cooked, remove from burner. 


The next step requires the use of a grinder I have a grinder on my Kitchen Aid Mixer. 

KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers

Spoon the liver mixture into the grinder one spoonful at a time.  Then push down with the wooden pusher to push it through the grinder.  It is important to do this slowly to prevent splattering (and yes, I learned this the hard way).  Add the hard boiled eggs, one at a time, spread out while you are adding the liver mixture.  The liver mixture is liquid-y, so the eggs help bind the chopped liver together to give it a good consistency.  When all of the liver mixture is gone, put the slice of gluten free bread or a couple of gluten free crackers through the grinder.  This will clean out any remnants, so you do not waste any of the liver.  Stir the chopped liver to make sure everything was mixed together well.   Make sure to taste it to see if it needs salt or pepper, but I usually do not need to add anything.  You can put it in a serving dish and serve immediately with gluten free crackers and/or vegetables or it can be put in the refrigerator to serve later.   It is extremely yummy anytime!  I hope you enjoy making this recipe with your family.

-Cassidy  


No comments:

Post a Comment