Saturday, December 10, 2011

Gluten Free Garlic Bread Recipe


I have a group of friends who get together, with spouses and children, once a month for a pot luck dinner.  We rotate homes, so that no one family hosts the dinners all of the time.  It is a wonderful tradition that we started this summer, and it gives us a chance to have some adult conversation while the children play.

This weekend we celebrated the holiday season at our monthly pot luck dinner.  Our contribution for the pot luck was Mozzerella Stuffed Meatballs and Almond Flour Garlic Bread.  My husband made the meatballs, and they were excellent!  I will talk about them in another post.  This post is all about the yummy garlic bread.  First, I needed to make 2 loaves of almond flour bread.  I based my recipe on a bread recipe from Elana's Pantry.  I decided to substitute with tapioca flour.  Gluten Free bread can be very heavy, but this combination made a lighter bread that was very successful when used in a Gluten Free stuffing and as a garlic bread.  

Almond Flour Bread

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of almond flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 eggs
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the 4 eggs until they are frothy.  I used the wire whip accessory with my mixer.  This takes about 5-7 minutes.  You can place the bowl and wire whip in the freezer for a few minutes before using to decrease the amount of time it takes to whisk the eggs to make them frothy.



In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, tapioca flour, flaxseed meal, salt, and baking soda.

Stir the honey and apple cider vinegar into the frothy eggs, and then add the dry ingredients into the same bowl.  Combine all of the ingredients together, but do not over blend.  You want the batter to stay light, and it will lose the fluffiness if you over stir.

Spoon the batter into a greased loaf pan.  Cook for ~20-25 minutes or until the toothpick (or metal knitting needle in my case) comes out clean.

Let the bread cool before serving.


I cooked the bread for only 20 minutes, and even though the needle came out clean, there was a little spot in the middle that did not get completely cooked through.  Next time I will have to stick the needle in a couple places on the bread to make sure it is thoroughly cooked, and I will cook it a few minutes longer.  I ended up slicing the loaf in 1 inch slices and baking it in the 350 degree oven for 5 minutes to make sure that everything was cooked thoroughly.

Then it was time to make the garlic bread.

Garlic Bread

2 loaves of almond flour bread, sliced
1/2 cup spreadable butter
~2 (rounded) tbsps of minced garlic

I mixed together the butter and garlic together in a small bowl.  You can adjust the amount of garlic based on your preference for garlic.  This is probably a pretty heavy amount of garlic, because in my family, we love the taste of garlic.  My husband always tells me that he can eat a lot of garlic, as long as I do too, so we cancel each other out. I buttered one side of each slice of bread with the butter/garlic mixture and placed it on a cookie sheet.  A few minutes before we sat down to dinner, I placed the garlic bread in the broiler for about 2 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned.  Serve immediately.

The garlic bread turned out very good, but a few of the pieces were a little overcooked.  I think the extra toasting I had to do to guarantee that the bread was done might have overcooked the crust on some of the pieces.  Otherwise, it was fantastic.  The host even kept some of the garlic bread to eat for breakfast the next morning.

Stay tuned for my husband's Mozzerella Stuffed Meatballs.  I hope you enjoy!

Cassidy    




No comments:

Post a Comment