Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Black and White Cookie Recipe



My parents are coming to visit, and we are getting ready.  We have been cleaning, shopping, and planning.  I have been looking for ideas for what I am going to cook when my parents are here.  One of the things that I get to do when my parents come is that my husband and I get to cook together.  My parents play spend time with the grandchildren, and my husband and I get to create together with few interruptions.  The kids have a tendency to need something the minute we start cooking dinner.

One of the things I love to make is dessert.  Elana's Pantry inspired me with a post about her favorite Christmas cookies.  I saw her black and white cookies and I just had to make them, but with a little twist.  Here is my recipe:

Black and White Cookies

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
~1 cup chocolate chips
Vanilla icing

Combine almond flour and salt in a large bowl, and put it off to the side.  In a small bowl, combine grapeseed oil, honey, and vanilla extract.  Pour the wet ingredients into the big bowl with the dry ingredients and combine into a dough consistency.  Put dough in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place dough in between 2 sheets of parchment paper, and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick.  I used my kids' 2 inch plastic cup to cut out the cookies, but anything that has a 2 inch diameter will work.  Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  When the cookie sheet is full, place it in the oven for 5-7 minutes.  Bake until the edges are browned.  The amount of time needed depends on the thickness of your cookies, thicker cookies equal longer baking time.  Cool the cookies for at least 30 minutes.

Put the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.  Cook the chocolate chips in 1 minute increments, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted.  Spread the chocolate on half of each cookie and set the cookies on the parchment paper to cool.  Once the chocolate has hardened, spread vanilla icing on the other half.  Place on a platter and serve.  It should make about 24 cookies.


We tried the cookies today, and they turned out great!  My parents really liked them.  The center of the cookie was soft and chewy, which is the consistency that I like my cookies.  The cookie was not overly sweet, so the frosting added to the sweetness factor, but it did not overpower it.  The cookies tasted very similar to the ones I had when I was younger.  I was really pleased with the result.  I hope you will feel the same way when you try them in your kitchen.  Enjoy!


~Cassidy



No comments:

Post a Comment